Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March Artwork and notes

Note about March artwork postings.
March has been a wonderful month of painting. I am making new acrylic paintings of Tanabe from my sketches and photographs. I have been painting on similar wood discs that I have posted with paintings and stamped images. I really like the small and roundish format for this series of works about Tanabe since the discs are indicative of Japanese culture. I am not posting the paintings as they are finished since I will exhibit them in a show with Pyar in June. Pyar and I are creating a show called "Two Years in Tanabe" and exhibiting at a friend's cafe. She has a great cake shop with an adjacent cafe. The artwork displayed rotates every month. We are honored for this opportunity from the Yamamoto family. I will post all of the paintings from the show in my June posts.





Lewis's Rock Garden Reflections
(Library Card Series)
handmade stamp on reused library card

I have been reflecting on our time here in Japan and the recent earthquake, tsunami and power plant disasters. We are so very grateful to live in Tanabe, safe and healthy though very sad for the people affected. It is amazing how close it feels since we had our small tsunami in Tanabe on the same day, March 11.





A Favorite Tree
pencil and ink on paper




Blooming
pencil and ink on paper

I have been experimenting with combining media. This is one of my favorite results, in person, the flower seems metallic.


No comments: