Friday, February 03, 2012

February ~ The Self Portrait Attempt


Not Self Portrait Self
mixed media on paper
4" x 6"

A recent call for entries on Self Portraits was the catalyst for this piece.  I drew the figure in pencil and then painted in washes in watercolor.  I used my handmade stamps for embellishments and added the text from a book.   I originally wanted a python body after reading a story about pythons invading natural habitats in the everglades, but the coils began to look more like a scarf. (besides scales somehow feel creepy to draw)
Though the face does not resemble mine, I think there are some qualities illustrated that I possess .   And although I don't feel like an invasive species, I sometimes feel like I belong elsewhere.  I guess I am still struggling with my limbo and a sense of place. 


1 comment:

Jewel Imaging said...

Cynthia, I just caught up on the past few months of your blog! I am overwhelmed by your stunning, honest insights into the world. Thank you for sharing the beauty of yourself and your surroundings. Mr. Fox and Otter Point at Sunset filled me with much happiness and nostalgia! Love to you. - Jewel